To receive a marriage license:
- No one under 17 years of age may get married in Ohio.
- If only one person is 17 years old, the other cannot be more than 4 years older.
- All 17 year old applicants desiring to get married must file an application in Juvenile Court to get the Court’s consent to the marriage and wait 14 days after the Juvenile Court files its consent to apply for a marriage license in the Probate Court.
- After waiting 14 days, the applicants must then apply in the Probate Court for a marriage License and all other information set forth above for Adults is applicable here as well.
- Both applicants must obtain a letter from a minister, licensed counselor or psychologist that they have obtained marriage counseling.
The juvenile marriage process will start in the Washington County Juvenile Court. You can contact them at (740) 373-6623 Ext. 2422. Click here for the Instructions and documents required.