Our present day courthouse was built in 1901 on the site of the second courthouse at the corner of Putnam and Second Streets. Samuel Hannaford & Sons of Cincinnati, Ohio designed and constructed the building and were also the architects for the neighboring Monroe County Courthouse.
The exterior has seen changes, probably the most notable being the tunnel entrance added to the Putnam Street doors and the various iterations of the bus stop corner. Note that the drinking trough has been replaced by a hand pump in the picture below and above, the old bus stop.
Inside, there are several memorials to county veterans, including framed pictures, mementos, and relics on the first floor, and an expansive mural dedicated to the veterans of WWII that hangs on the second floor.
Visitors might easily mistake the Indian pattern in the floor tiles on the second floor as the Nazi Swastika. The pattern is actually a "sauwastika" from Indian Hindu and Bhuddist symbology representing balance and good fortune in life. This symbol, both right and left facing, was quite common before the Nazis adopted it, especially in sports uniforms, being used in the same manner a lucky four-leaf clover or lucky horseshoe would be.
The Bicentennial Bell is kept on the second floor as well. Each Ohio county received such a bell to mark the 200th year of Ohio's statehood.
The bell that rings the hour and half-hour in the courthouse tower is inscribed "Honest John 1788-1903", and was, at the time of it's arrival in Marietta, the largest bell in town at 3,000 lbs. It arrived in Marietta on April 2nd, 1903. The tower itself has served as a radio room in past wars. The picture below shows the bell being lifted into the tower.
In Courtroom A, there are several surnames inscribed among the scrollwork near the ceiling. These are some of the original leaders of this territory, including Tupper, Crary, Meigs, Putnam, Sproat, Fearing, and Cutler. More about these men may be found by following the links on this page.